We value and celebrate diversity: We are committed to a selection process and work environment that is inclusive and barrier free. We encourage applications from all backgrounds and communities and are committed to having a team made up of people with diverse skills, experiences, and abilities. We actively encourage BIPOC and LGBTQ+ applicants to apply and we value the positive impact that diversity has on our teams. We are committed to equity, diversity, and social inclusion within our workforce and in all opportunities provided at StepStones. Accommodations will be provided in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code.
StepStones for Youth (www.stepstonesforyouth.com) is an innovative and dynamic charitable organization in Toronto dedicated to providing intervention and sustainable support for children and youth. Many of these youth are exiting the foster care and group home system or are currently living in foster homes and shelters.
Our goal is to create positive and meaningful connections; increase school engagement, high school graduation, and post-secondary enrolment; and increase stable housing, improved mental and physical health, and strong support networks. StepStones adheres to a “whatever it takes” approach to servicing youth and we go above and beyond to support their needs.
Why Work With Us:
- Comprehensive Benefit Package: includes 2K to paramedical services, and Short Term and Long-Term Disability including Employee Assistance Program (EAP) & Grief counselling available free of charge (in addition to benefits) for work related incidents
- Time-Off: 3 weeks-vacation with a 1-day vacation increase per year worked, up to 25 day’s vacation
- Leave: 8 sick days, 1 personal day, 1.5 medical appointment days, bereavement allowance
- Professional Development: Training allowance of $700 per year
- Reimbursements: Mileage provided at a competitive rate and all staff are given a petty cash budget
- Tools you need to succeed: All staff receive a MacBook and access to our mobile friendly CRM system! PPE is also provided.
- Flexible work hours: Work on your time when needed
- Extended Break: 1.5 lunch break healthy living program when you exercise for 30 minutes during lunch
StepStones for Youth is seeking a Connection Coordinator who will work within the Safe at Home or Mentorship initiative. The Safe at Home program operates on the premise that relationship-based housing options provide a baseline of stability and support, which then mitigates the likelihood of poor outcomes in the long term. Through the Mentorship initiative, we work to transfer the primary supportive role and responsibilities to a relational, non-professionalized/worker entity. We do this by providing necessary training and support to communities and caregivers involved in the program. This is a great opportunity to make a positive impact on the most vulnerable in our society.
What you will be responsible for:
- Establish strong working relationships with foster home and group home providers (agencies), foster parents and CAS workers.
- Engage with youth to help them determine and develop their circle of support
- With the youth as the guide, explore possible housing options, mentors, and caregivers within circles of support and determine if positive matches are possible.
- Complete a full investigation into possible support networks and people available to the youth, expand circle of support by connecting youth to culturally appropriate groups and engage the extended family and / or community in the permanency planning.
- Support potential caregivers in exploring the possibility of them becoming a caregiver for the youth, navigating concerns, conduct necessary training which has a unique focus on how to support older youth in a home environment.
- Complete housing assessments and interviews for safety, evaluation and appropriateness of the trained and screened potential caregiver. Ensure that safety and well-being practices are implemented.
- Provide support to both caregivers and youth to ensure a successful placement.
- Provide all services within an understanding of anti-oppression, anti-Black and Indigenous racism, diversity, LGBTQ+ positive and anti-poverty values and principles.
What we’re looking for:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work (or related field) from an accredited University and a minimum of five years’ successful experience in directly related field
- Access to a vehicle and a valid full G Class Ontario Driver’s License with appropriate insurance is required.
- Experience in working with diverse cultures and communities. A thorough understanding of anti-oppression, anti-Black and Indigenous racism values and principles and an appreciation of and ability to work with diverse communities.
- Strong understanding of the principals of permanency and Family Finding;
- Working knowledge of the fundamentals of Kinship, Foster Care, Forever Families and Adoption;
- Solid knowledge of services and resources available for youth in Ontario;
- Experienced motivational interviewer with the ability to create a comfortable interview environment;
- Sound knowledge of the child welfare system and the principle issues affecting the youth in this system;
- Highly effective written and oral communication skills, problem solving, advocacy and assessment skills;
- Effective interpersonal skills including the ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with internal and external resources and community partnership;
- Ability to manage crisis, conflict and adverse situations with staff, youth and families;
- Strong computer/Internet skills and knowledge of case management systems, reporting procedures and responsibilities and the ability to work within those systems;
- Strong communication, organizational, and time management skills; accountability, reliability, and punctuality; and the ability to work effectively and independently under the pressure of tight timelines, competing priorities and emergent issues.
Salary Range: $60,000 – $65,000 annually
This position will require regular in-office work.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position; however, only those applicants will be selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or in person submissions please.
To apply, please email you resume and cover letter to [email protected]